After the part(s) completed the printing process, there are steps that must be followed before it can be considered finished. Follow these steps to remove the build Support Wax from the part(s). An optional oven is also available for post porcessing, please refer to ProJet MJP Finisher Oven for detailed instructions.
- Paper Towels / Absorbent Pads
- Nitrile Gloves
- Insulating Gloves
- Safety Glasses
- Protective Clothing (lab coat, protective sleeves)
Equipment and Tools Needed
- Two MJP EasyClean warmer units capable of heating to 100°C (212°F)
- Fine wax removal fluid (such as EZ Rinse-C or mineral oil)
Steps for Post Processing a Part
- When a part is finished printing the platform will raise. Lift the entire platform off of the printer.
- Place the platform of parts in a freezer for approximately 10-20 minutes depending on part geometries. This will cool the parts and enable them to separate easily from the platform.
NOTE: Placing the print platform on a metal surface as shown here speeds up the cooling time
- Pre-warm the MJP EasyClean units for both bulk and fine wax. The units will take approximatley 30 minutes minimum at room temperature to warm up.
Turn on both warmer units
Turn the Bulk Wax unit control knob to 10 (99°C)
Turn the Fine Wax unit control knob to 6 (70°C)
NOTE: Keeping units set to 5 when not in use will significantly reduce warm up time for Bulk Wax Removal.
- Check the water level in each warmer units reservoir. If the water level is not at the fill mark, add more water now.
NOTE: Refilling the reservoir with warm water will significantly reduce the unit warm up time.
- Fill the 2/3 pan in the Fine Wax Removal unit with wax removal fluid (EZ Rinse-C, Mineral Oil, etc.) so that it is 1/3 to 1/2 full.
- Place the covers back on warmers
- When parts have been separated from platform place them in the strainer basket and put the strainer in the Bulk Wax removal system, with the bulk wax system heated to 10. Close cover and leave in the bulk wax system for approximately 15 to 20 minutes after steam is being generated. The actual melt time will depend on the size of the part and how much support wax is present. For best part quality, remove parts from Bulk Wax removal system as soon as the bulk wax is visualy removed from part.
NOTE: Ensure parts are not stacked on top of one another, a lasting impression may be made from one part to another.
- Carefully lift cover off of warmer directing the steam away from yourself.
CAUTION: Steam can cause burns. Use precaution when lifting lid off of warmer.
NOTE: Water condenses on the inside of the cover. Take care to prevent hot water from dripping out of the system. Prevent hazards by wiping up any water that escapes the unit.
- Wearing insulating gloves, use the strainer basket removal handles to pick basket up. With the strainer still over the wax catch pan, tilt it to the corner to allow liquid wax to drain away. You may want to shake gently to remove remnants of bulk wax.
- Place the strainer basket with your parts in the fine wax removal systems 2/3 pan. This pan should be 1/2 to 2/3 full of fine wax removal fluid (such as EZ Rinse-C or Mineral Oil). Ensure dial is set to 6.
The hooks on each handle are inserted into the two slots on each side of the strainer. This allows the strainer basket to be lifted without the user having to touch the hot surfaces or liquids. When strainer has been moved, and user is done with handles, remove them and store somewhere close for the next application. Do not leave the handles in the warmer.
NOTE: Be careful not to overflow the liquid. If parts are not completely submerged, either add more of the liquid used in the fine wax removal system or plan on rotating the parts.
- Close cover and leave basket in fine wax removal for no longer than 15 minutes.
- For best part quality, remove parts from Fine Wax removal system after 15 minutes not to exceed 30 minutes. Shake parts to remove excess liquid, remove from MJP EasyClean system, and rinse in warm soapy water and gently wipe parts dry with a paper towel/absorbent pad or allow them to air dry.
- Parts are now ready to use.
- Remove the bulk wax 2/3 pan from the warmer unit and pour the molten wax and water mixture into a bucket. Allow wax to cool and solidify. Once cool, the wax may be removed from the bucket and put in normal trash. Pour the remaining water down the drain in accordance with local regulations.