The purpose of this section is to execute the following:
- Power the printer on.
- Load support and part material cartridges into the material delivery modules.
- Install a build platform.
- Perform a successful Demo build.
- Remove the finished parts from the printer.
- Empty the waste drawers.
- Switch the printer off.
Completion of this process will familiarize you with all of the “basic” printer operations needed to build parts on the ProJet 5500X and provides a functional “shakedown” for a new installation. It is strongly recommend that you complete this section before moving on to larger more sophisticated builds.
Power the Printer ON.
- Connect power cord to the printer (A) and plug into facility receptacle.
- Place power switch (B) located at the rear of printer, to the ON position.
- Wait 4 hours for printer to warm up before attempting to start a build job.
- Because the materials also require a warm up period, proceed to the next step of adding material to the material delivery modules.
NOTE: Build files can not be submitted to the printer while it is warming up.
Install Material Bottles
- For the purpose of the Demo print, we will use only two bottles of support material and two bottles of part material. Make certain that the two bottles of part material are the same type.
- Unpack the material bottles and the Global Health and Safety (GHS) Sheet from cartons. Save sleeves and material carton to store partially used material bottles.
- Press and release the upper left material delivery module to open it. Install two bottles of support material into the MDM. Pull levers up and place bottle down into the holder. Press on the top of the material bottle until you hear a click to make certain the bottles are fully seated.
- Press and release the upper right material delivery module to open it. Install two bottles of part material into the MDM. Pull levers up and place bottle down into the holder. Press on the top of the material bottle until you hear a click to make certain the bottles are fully seated.
- As previously stated, only two MDM are loaded with material for the Demo print. Subsequent build jobs will require all MDMs to be fully loaded with both support and part material.
Install Build Platform
- Clean the platform using isopropyl alcohol before installing the platform into the printer.
- Open the chamber door.
- The adjacent view shows the bottom of the print platform. The recessed area on the bottom of the platform is placed toward the front of the printer.
- Place the platform on the X-carriage so the rear edge of the platform is positioned in front of the rear brackets.
- Slide the platform toward the rear of the printer until it is firmly pressed against the rear brackets. Press down on the platform at the points indicated to make certain the platform is “seated” onto the X-carriage.
- Close the front door and press the Start key on the touchscreen to bring the printer on-line.
- On the operator panel, press the Tools icon.
- Press Print Diagnostics.
- Press Demo Print
- Select the mode (HD or UHD) for the Demo Print
- The system displays PLATFORM EMPTY & DOOR CLOSED? Y/N.
- Make certain the platform is empty, the door is closed and press YES.
- The printer starts the demo print job.
- The demo print will take approximately three hours.
Remove Build Platform
When operator panel display shows DONE: <job_name> remove build platform
- Open the chamber door.
- To remove the platform, Pull the platform forward until you feel it contact the stops. Place your hands on either side of the platform to lift and remove it from the printer
Remove Part From Build Platform
To remove your part from the build platform:
- Place the platform in a freezer for ten to fifteen minutes. As the parts and platform cool, they contract at different rates and separate.
- Alternatively, the parts can be mechanically separated from the build platform by force using a tool with a stiff thin blade such as a putty knife. Make certain you do not mark the platform. For more information on how to clean parts, refer to the VisiJet Material Handling Guide.
Empty Waste Drawers
|Personal protection equipment is required before opening waste drawer. Follow all material handling and disposal guidelines. Always follow Global Health and Safety guidelines and local regulations regarding handling and disposal of regulated materials. Keep disposal records if local law requires.|
|CAUTION: Wear protective gloves before removing any waste material. Be careful not to spill, drop, or expose others to these materials. Dispose the material according to your local regulatory guidelines.|
NOTE: When removing the draped portion of the bag, be careful not to spill the material that may be on the top portion of the bag.
- Open the upper left and upper right MDMs.
- Slide both waste drawers completely out of the printer.
- Remove waste bags from waste drawers and place into a hazardous waste container.
- Replace the plastic waste bag for each drawer.
- Close waste drawers and press the Start to resume.
Standby and Conserve Mode
NOTE: If the printer is to be used within 7 to 10 days of the last build, it is recommended to leave your printer in either standby or conserve mode, instead of powering off the printer.
If the printer is idle more than 4 hours, it enters Standby mode. If the printer is idle more than 36 hours, it enters Conserve mode. In these energy-saving states, the printer heaters are partially cooled and many other components are disabled. It takes much less time for the printer to warm up from Standby or Conserve mode than it does from full shutdown/power off, (see table below). To increase or decrease wait time before the printer enters Standby mode or Conserve mode, contact 3D Systems Technical Support
|Initial Power Up||165 min.|
Printer Shutdown and Power Off
NOTE: Before shutdown and power off, verify that there is no need to build parts again soon.
|CAUTION: Switching off or disconnecting the printer’s power without performing the following shutdown procedure can damage the printer. Always perform the shutdown procedure before switching off the printer power unless an immediate power off is necessary for safety reasons.|
- Verify printer is not building.
- Press Tools (A)
- Press Printer Shutdown (B).
- The touchscreen displays SHUTDOWN MODELER?: Y/N. Press Yes.
- The touchscreen displays Windows Shutdown:
- The touchscreen displays Shutdown in Progress Please Wait
- After the PC switches off, switch the power switch on the back to the printer to OFF.
FOR MORE DETAILED INFORMATION, PLEASE REFER TO THE PROJET 5500X USER GUIDE.