After a part is printed, there are steps that must be followed before it can be considered finished. Following these steps will ensure a successful and usable part.
- Isopropyl Alcohol- 91% (IPA)
- Mineral Oil or EZ Rinse-C
- Paper Towels / Absorbent Pads
- Nitrile Gloves
- Safety Glasses
- Protective Clothing
- Flat Razor Blades
- Putty Knife
- Metal Basket(s) (optional)
- Warm Water
Equipment and Tools Needed
- Melting oven capable of heating to 70°C (158°F) such as ProJet XL Finisher
- Ultrasonic Cleaner (optional)
- Heated bath with metal tubs
- Freezer (optional)
- Hotplate (optional)
Steps for Post Processing a Part
Bulk Wax Removal
After job is finished printing, platform should be raised and clamps released.
- Lift the entire platform off of the printer.
- Place the platform in a freezer for approximately 30 minutes. This will cool the parts and enable them to separate easily from the platform.
NOTE: Placing print platform on a metal surface as shown here speeds up the cooling time.
- After parts are cooled sufficiently, remove them from the print platform. It may be necessary to use a putty knife to loosen the larger parts.
- For stubborn parts you an use a smooth wood block to gently tap parts free of platform.
- Keep angle of putty knife below 20 degrees to avoid scraping the platform.
|NOTE: Take care not to scratch, groove, dent, or damage parts or platform in the removal process.|
- Once parts have been removed from platform, place them in a metal basket.
NOTE: Nitrile gloves must be worn when handling all parts that have not been processed.
- Place the entire basket in a 70°C (158°F) warming oven for 30 minutes or until the wax support material has melted off.
NOTE: Set the basket on top of a drip tray to allow support material to drip off into the tray.
CAUTION: Ensure parts are not stacked on top of one another, a lasting impression may be made from one part to another.
- Remove parts from oven and wipe off any remaining support material with a paper towel.
Fine Wax Removal
- Place parts in a clean warm mineral bath (approx. 65°C (149°F) ) or EZ Rinse-C for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes removal from heated bath.
- Rinse parts with warm water and pat dry. Parts are now ready to use.