The purpose of this section is to execute the following:
- Power the printer on.
- Installing new material cartridge.
- Removing material cartridges.
- Procedure to empty waste bag.
- Procedure for installing and removing print platform.
- Perform a successful Demo build.
Completion of this process will familiarize you with all of the “basic” printer operations needed to build parts on the ProJet® MJP 2500 and provides a functional “run through” for a new installation. It is strongly recommended that you complete Section 5 before moving on to larger more sophisticated builds.
POWER THE PRINTER
- If the printer is not already on, turn printer on by flipping the power switch on the back of the printer. UI may take up to a minute or so to come on. After about a minute the 3D Systems logo should appear and then the Status Screen will appear.
- If printer has been shut down and is starting from a cold state, wait 2 hours for printer to warm up before starting a build job. UI display will show the current Printer State on the Status screen. The below screen shot shows the printer in a READY TO PRINT state (1).
NOTE: Build files can be submitted but will not start printing until printer is warm and ready.
Installing New Material Cartridge
NOTE: Cartridges cannot be installed into a cold printer. The printer must be warm before drawer will open and cartridges can be installed.
To place a material cartridge into the MDM, perform the following steps:
- Obtain a new material cartridge ensuring that it is the same material as currently installed in the MDM.
- If drawer is not already open, push to unlock drawer.
- Pull open the MDM drawer.
NOTE: The steps to install a support cartridge are the same as installing a part cartridge.
NOTE: To install cartridges into the MDM drawer properly ensure that the small cap be installed away from the user.
NOTE: It is important to verify the cartridges have been audibly clicked into place, have material in them, and the cartridge caps properly ventilated; otherwise the printer may not be able to pull material from the bottles, potentially resulting in the following fault codes:
- Place cartridge in slot and push down until you hear it click in place.
- Vent each cartridge by loosening the material cap (A) by a 1/2 turn counterclockwise.
- Close the MDM drawer (B), by pushing in the dimple at the top until it’s latched securely.
- Check the material level under the Materials tab (C) on the UI to ensure cartridge is seated properly into MDM and ready to print.
REMOVING MATERIAL CARTRIDGES
When a material cartridge is empty and needs to be replaced, or if a partially filled container needs to be replaced with a full container, perform the following procedure.
NOTE: It is important to verify the type of material currently in the MDM before proceeding with these steps.
NOTE: Cartridges cannot be removed from a cold printer. The printer must be warm before drawer will open and cartridges can be removed.
The MDM drawer (A) is a push/push mechanism. Push to open drawer, push to lock drawer.
- Open the MDM drawer by pushing in at the recessed dimple.
- Pull the MDM drawer open.
- Turn the material cap (B) a 1/2 turn to clockwise to tighten the vent cap.
- Press the release button (C) on the front. You will hear the cartridge release. Pull the cartridge out of the slot.
- Dispose of the empty cartridge according to local regulations.
- Wearing nitrile gloves and either protective sleeves or a lab coat to protect arms, use a disposable paper towel and wipe all material from the container seal assembly, if necessary you can use some isopropyl alcohol on the paper towel to wipe up the excess material.
NOTE: It is important to always wear nitrile gloves and either protective sleeves or a labcoat to protect arms when coming in contact with materials to avoid getting materials on skin. Contact with skin may cause an allergic reaction.
WASTE BAG REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
The UI will instruct the user when it is time to change the Waste Bag. Follow these steps to change the waste bag.
NOTE: Even though the waste bag may not appear full when the user is notified to change it, it is highly recommended to replace the waste bag when prompted to avoid unnecessary overflow and mess. When waste bag has been changed ensure you confirm the level has been reset to zero.
- Verify that the printer is in READY.
- Select Materials tab.
Select the next to the Waste Bag status bar.
- Wearing protective Nitrile gloves, open the MDM drawer.
- Remove waste bag and dispose of bag according to local regulations.
- Inspect the waste bin for any remaining waste. If necessary, wipe out any waste that exists with the lint free cloth and isopropyl alcohol.
NOTE: If the waste bag is stuck to the liner when you attempt to remove it, replace the entire liner and bag to prevent the bag from tearing and causing material to leak into the receptacle. Waste bags can be ordered using part number 310248-00. With each order you will receive 30 bags and 1 liner.
- Confirm on the printer UI when you have completed replacing the waste bag.
The Waste Bag routine can also be accessed from the Operator Maintenance window.
Select Tools>Operator Maintenance
PRINT PLATFORM REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- Ensure that the printer is on and in the READY state.
NOTE: Make sure you are wearing nitrile gloves before performing this procedure. Always protect yourself from possible exposure to materials.
- Raise platform by selecting Access Platform (1) on the Status screen on the UI.
|NOTE: Top door must be closed for Access Platform to be available on the UI.|
- Platform will raise and clamps will release print platform.
- Lift print platform out of build chamber.
- Place clean print platform into build chamber.
NOTE: It is important to inspect the platform to ensure it is free of debris and damage. Inserting a dirty or damaged platform into the printer can cause severe damage to the printer.
- After closing the top door, the print platform will clamp into place and lower into position.
To download a demo print, click Connector RCL (zip) and open 3DSprint software. Refer to http://infocenter.3dsystems.com/projetmjp2500/user-guide/steps-printing-your-first-print