First Aid and Protective Equipment

The following paragraphs provide general first-aid procedures and recommendations for protective equipment to minimize the risks from resin exposure. If professional medical attention is necessary, take the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for the exact resin involved to the attending physician.

Skin Contact

Figure 4 resin may cause sensitization by skin contact. It is irritating to the skin; repeated and/or prolonged contact may cause dermatitis. Wear 100% nitrile gloves and lab coats to avoid skin contact. Should resin, or uncured parts, come in contact with skin, wash thoroughly with soap and COLD water and immediately remove contaminated clothing and shoes. If skin is irritated, get medical attention. Dry-clean contaminated clothing. Discard contaminated shoes and leather products.

Eye Contact

High vapor concentration may cause irritation. Safety goggles should be worn to prevent accidental splashes of resin into the eyes. If resin comes in contact with the eye, flush immediately with large amounts of COLD water for 15 minutes. Avoid sunlight, fluorescent light, and other ultraviolet light, and obtain immediate medical attention. Eye-wash facilities and a first-aid kit should be readily available and close to the resin/green parts.

Contact Lenses

If resin splashes into the eye when contact lenses are worn, flush the eye with water immediately. Verify that flushing has removed the contact lens from the eye. Protect eyes from light and obtain immediate medical attention. Discard contact lenses that come into contact with liquid resin or green parts.

Fume Inhalation

Inhaling fumes from resin is irritating to the respiratory system. High atmospheric concentrations may lead to irritation of the respiratory tract, dizziness, headache and anesthetic effects. Do not operate the Figure 4 UV Curing Unit 350 without its carbon filter in place. For most resins, normal operation of the UV Curing Unit 350 with its filter in place should not emit fumes. If a person should inhale fumes, bring the exposed person to fresh air. Perform CPR if required. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen and obtain immediate medical attention for the person.

Ingestion

If a person ingests resin and the victim is unconscious or having convulsions, do not induce vomiting or give any substance by mouth. Immediately rinse the person's mouth and have him/her drink plenty of water. Get medical attention.